Saturday, February 28, 2009

****STAND BY FOR NEWS****

I don't know how some older people can cope with the rate of change in our world. My grandma lived for 112 years spanning 3 centuries. Finally she just didn't want to hear any more. She was sharp till the end-she'd just had enough so we talked about the present or the past.

This week held a lot of change for me. The Denver and Rocky Mountain News was always one of my favorites. It was a small conservative tabloid when I lived out there as a child. I liked it because it fit between my small arms and it was different than other papers. I also visited the paper on a school field trip. Anyway, when it became available online I started reading it again. Well, Thursday when I logged on there were only pictures of an empty newsroom with trash lying around and another of staff with tears in their eyes being told it is over.



As you can see the other thing is that Paul Harvey died today. Sometimes I loved him, sometimes I hated him. I can remember listening to him as a child while traveling or at home. I told Joel once that he was "The Oracle of the Windy City." He literally sang the news. My brother-in-law, Phil who runs a True Value Hardware store said he could sell ice cubes to Eskimos. People would flock in to buy whatever Ol' Paul was hawking that week. I don't know why but it has been routine for me to listen to him around noon time about every work day for almost 40 years. I guess I'll have to find a new obsession now.

If you wonder where he is just listen to this:

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; Though its waters roar and foam, Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride.

Paul Harvey............................good day!!

1 comment:

DP said...

I read the title of your post in the voice of Ted Baxter of WJM-TV