Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Question of Fairness


I am dead serious when I tell you the truth of this great message produces in me a kind of reckless abandon for the people of my heritage, Israel.  If it were possible that I could be separated from God so they could take this final essential step in the gospel it would be worth it to me.  All that we are spiritually comes to us through their legacy; the patriarchs, the symbolism of the temple, the promises of God, and even the Christ Himself who sums up all of God's plan and to whom all authority has been given.  How could a people with such a rich legacy fail to respond to God's message?  Well, being a Israelite doesn't actually come from birth so not all of them are Abrahan's children.  But God tells Abraham, "Through Isaac your descendants will be named."  So it is not his physical offspring but the children of this promise who are his spiritual descendants.  God's promise was, "When I come next year Sarah will have a son."  Then there is the story of Rebecka who conceived twins through our father Isaac.  Though they had not yet been born and before they had done either good or bad God purposed to show that He chooses not by what someone does but according to what He wants to do by saying, "the older will serve the younger twin."  So He makes this ominous statement,  "I loved Jacob but I hated Esau."  Is God being unjust when He says this?  No, not at all,  later He tells Moses,  "I will have mercy on whomever I wish and I will have compassion on whomever I wish.  So, the issue here isn't justice because we are a condemned race, it is mercy and it comes down from a merciful God.  His mercy is a gift and it can't depend on how badly one wants it or works for it but on the grace of God.  At one point He says to Pharaoh,  "I brought you to this position to demonstrate my power in you so my name might be proclaimed throughout the earth.  So, then He pours out mercy on some and hardens others according to His desires.

No comments: