Thursday, November 13, 2008

Why I Run


Yesterday I had to go way out west to do a job. It took all day so I planned for an 8 mile run on the way home. Forty miles of "sand prairie" separate Stafford Ks. from civilization. I finally selected a lonely road called Jordan Springs. It was about 4:00 p.m. so the sunlight was autumn gold and the shadows were long. We've had a mild, wet year and the leaves on everything are just beautiful. The road was blow-sand but it was packed fairly well. At some points it was plowed through two or three feet dunes. I passed a lonely cemetery and then the Ninnesca River. Then I came to wilderness areas. Suddenly I encountered a fragrant aroma. It brought back so many memories. If you've ever visited the mountains you know the wonderfully sweet smell of an Aspen grove. This was a Cottonwood grove and I don't know if I've ever noticed that smell before in Kansas but Aspen Cottonwood and Poplar are closely related. About a mile from my car I was pretty thirsty and started wondering why they called it Jordan Springs. A couple minutes later I saw a rusty mossy pipe sticking out of the ground. There was cool "clean" water coming out of it so I took a chance and took a sip-not bad-tastes a little like baking soda. Anyway it was a wonderful time. Until Heaven, Thanks God for Kansas.

1 comment:

DP said...

"Until Heaven, Thanks God for Kansas..." unless tomorrow's high is 45.