Friday, September 26, 2008

The Lord's Prayer and the Flesh II


The next 3 phrases in this prayer redirect our desires outside of us.

Hallowed be Thy name: I want God, even His very name revered. His honor is what's important to me.

Thy Kingdom come:
God's Kingdom is what matters. Instead of worrying about the kingdoms of this world (which I can do little about) I need to adjust my thinking to focus on the eternal, perfect kingdom which I am a part of, (providing I have been born into it.)

Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven:
I use this as a daily commitment to my total trust in my Sovereign Father. I tell Him every day that He can do whatever he wants with me. It was hard at first-Reminds me of a story Uncle Thorne used to tell: This Dad sits his little kid up on a wall and says, "jump". The fearful child says no. The dad says, "I said jump-I'll catch you." The kid jumps, The dad steps aside and the child crashes to the floor. The dad's response: "Get up kid, and let that be a lesson to you, don't ever trust no one.
No normal father would ever do that. Jesus says, "If you, being evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Heavenly Father give good gifts to them who ask. I have learned that I can trust Him

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha. Someone related to you WOULD tell that story.