Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Principle of the Remnant

Romans 11:1-10
So, has God rejected the very nation He chose? No, not at all. Look at me; I am an Israelite who can trace my heritage back to Abraham. Look at the scripture where Elijah pleads with God against Israel saying, "They have killed your prophets, torn down your alters, I am the only one left and they are after me." But God responds, "I still have seven thousand men who have not bowed to Baal." We are in a similar situation now. God has graciously chosen a remnant and this has nothing to do with what they might do to achieve God's favor. If it did it wouldn't be a gift from God. So Israel doesn't find what they seek but God chooses to give it to some anyway and the rest become hard-hearted just like the scriptures say, "God gave them a stupid spirit; eyes that won't see and ears that won't hear Him right down to today." David writes, "Let their table become a trap and a stumbling block. Let their eyes be darkened and their backs be bent forever."

No comments: